Sunday, September 20, 2015

Didn't know you could play the piano in Portuguese!


Sister Ashby (Visitors' Centre Senior Missionary) rehearsed the special musical number for the baptism in the Portuguese Ward with the young elders and sisters. She asked me to play piano for the baptism since she wasn't available and I was on shift.

As the bishop welcomed everyone and announced the program, all in Portuguese, I realized that I didn't know what the opening song would be. The words of the songs were printed on the program, but no page numbers, and it was all in Portuguese.

Everyone became very quiet as the sister conducting the music stood ready to begin and I quietly asked the bishop what song this was.

Quando Eu for Batizado

Is it "When I am Baptized?" I asked. When he said yes, I then looked in the back of the Children's Songbook for the page number. It seemed like a very long pause, but all were patient and waited and then joined in singing this beautiful Primary Song.

No comments:

Post a Comment